1. Sebastian Professionals Taming Elixir. At about $15 a pop, this stuff is a little on the pricey end, especially since it's not a very big bottle. But one squirt of this stuff goes a long way, so I'd say it's definitely worth the money. Basically... it's duty is to tame your frizz. Squirt a drop or two into your palm, rub your palms together, and work through your damp hair. You end up with touchably soft hair, light definition, and frizz control. The best part: this stuff does NOT leave a heavy product feel.
2. Sebastian Professionals Whipped Cream. Running around $18, this mousse is the most expensive but definitely an essential in my hair arsenal. First of all, the name says it all. Yum! This whip is lightweight and rich in protein. It enhances and conditions waves and curls. You turn it upside down, shake well, and dispense. (Emphasis on "upside down" because the salon stylist who sold this to me insisted it is the key to whipped cream magic.) Distribute the cream evenly through your damp hair---trying not to taste it, as good as it smells. You can air-dry for smooth, loose waves or blow-dry with a diffuser for a tousled look. And your hair smells soooo delicious.
3. Pssssst Dry Shampoo. Did you know that hair expert Oscar Blandi says that you shouldn't shampoo your hair more than twice a week? Refraining from shampooing keeps your hair healthy because too much shampooing (as in, every day or every other day) can suck moisture from your hair and leave you with dried out locks. Plus, your scalp's natural oils can make your hair easier to style. This doesn't mean that you should skip a shower after your next sweaty work-out session. Just refrain from shampooing and conditioning when you can. And use dry shampoo between those wash-times. Dry shampoo is basically a powder in spray form. It gets rid of excess oil, revives limp strands, and smells good. I tried Psssssst Instant Spray Shampoo because it was recommended by Allure magazine. My hair dries out easily so I've found that lessening my shampoo sessions definitely helps out. However, on the days inbetween shampooing, this stuff really helps out. It perks up my hair and smells great. It's only about $5, so give this instant hair boost a try.
4. Garnier Fructis Style Wave-Enhancing Spray, Wonder Waves: Flexible. Around $5-7, I get a lot of good outta this spray. It's a major in so many ways. It smells good, as all Garnier Fructis products do. It is affordable, as all hair products should be for us tight-budgeted undergrads. And it works wonders. Spritz it on damp hair, air dry, and you end up with nice waves. Spritz it on dry hair, scrunch, and you end up with great body. The "flexible" strength is my favorite because the waves it creates are not crisp. I hate having crunchy hair, which can so easily happen with tousling products. There is a stronger spray called "curled boosting" which will give you even more texture, but it left my strands feeling a little too crunchy for my preference. This flexible spray adds soft, touchable waves. It's my go-to hair product.
5. Garnier Fructis Style Surf Hair Texture Paste. To put it simply, I'm obsessed with this product! It cost about $5 and will from here on out be a staple on my vanity top. Like the wonder waves spray... it smells yummy, works great, and doesn't break the bank. When I untwisted the cap I expected to find a thick, goopy glue-like substance or hard pomade of sorts. Instead, I plopped my finger into soft, creamy goodness. Just dig out a dime-sized amount, rub between your palms, and work into damp to almost-dry hair. Scrunch and the waves develop right before your eyes. This baby is a texture miracle-worker. Did I mention that it smells scrumptious?
6. A tam. A tam hat, rasta tam, beanie, slouchy beret.---I'm not exactly what these hats are called for sure, but I've seen these crocheted cuties on girls for quite some time now. Every time I saw a stylish gal sporting one of these, I secretly envied her. I didn't believe that I was, well, a "hat person" or that I could pull of such a trend. Buuuut... I found one super-cheap the other day. ($2... SCORE!!) I tried it on and was surprised to find that I liked how I looked in it. I wore it around the next day and felt trendy and confidant. A guy at the bus stop even complimented me (I hope genuinely!) on my hat. ;) And now I want one in every color. But why is this in my fall hair care favorites? Well, because some days are just bad hair days. Plain and simple. Throw one of these darling caps and your bad hair day is gone, or at least hidden.