|My new tablet hanging out on my bookshelf.|
A couple weeks ago, I was delighted to be invited by Intel to join the Tablet Crew. Ever since the emergence of tablets, I've been dreaming of owning one. Oh, to blog, network, and email on the go! Sure, you can do those things on a smartphone. But I'm partial to a bigger screen. And laptops can be so bulky to carry around. I've been using a net book for on-the-go use, but the day my tablet came in the mail I knew the net book would be taking a back seat.
So what did I end up with? Meet Clover, my Intel-powered Acer Iconia W510 with full Windows8. Yes, I named her. Why Clover? Well, I was chatting with my computer genius friend about how I needed a name for her. Since it has an Atom processor it uses the the Clover Trail architecture, so he suggested Clover. I have no idea what that technical jargon means, but I like the Clover so it stuck. :)
I've been spending some quality time with my Windows8 tablet and I've racked up 8 wonderful reasons why I'm head-over-heels for it.
|Start-up screen. I simply slide upward to get to the password screen.|
1. It's lovely. Let's be honest, I'm a very visually-based person and I'm easily won over by good lucks. This tablet is a sleek, chic, beauty of a machine. The size is perfect. It is a light brushed silver on the back and white along the edges. And it got even prettier once I applied some wallpapers and switched up the colors.
2. Windows8. This baby comes with the full Windows8 and I'm smitten. It was an adjustment at first since like most PC users, I've been accustomed to the start button and desktop set up. But I quickly came to love the sliding apps, fast touchscreen, and functionality of Windows8. Sliding from app to app is so smooth and fast. And if I so desire, I can use the regular desktop that I'm familiar with (...though it's become a rare occasion.)
|You can type a password, or create a picture password like I've done.|
3. Apps, apps, apps. Oh, how I've come to love apps. When I first set up the tablet, I did go through and uninstall a bunch. (I don't really play games or use many news sources... I know, I know---Oh, the horror!) Once I de-cluttered, I hit the app store. So many options! I'm really loving the social media apps, Pinterest app, cozy fireplace app, several photo editing apps, Kindle app, and many others. (In the next week, I'll be doing a post on all the apps I'm indulging in!) Switching from one app to another required an easy slide of the finger.
4. Blogging. I like that I have the ability to blog on the go now. Blogging on a mobile device never appealed to me as I like bigger screens and dislike mobile blogging setups. But with my Windows8 tablet, I can download Google Chrome, log into my Blogger account, and get to work. I do not have a keyboard for my tablet yet, but I've adjusted to the touchscreen keyboard just fine.
|Love the Crystal Eye camera on this tablet!|
5. The Camera. I'm really digging the Acer Crystal Eye Webcam Camera. I was immediately impressed by the quality of the first photo I took using it. From here on out, I'll be throwing my point-and-shoot camera in my purse permanently. Photos of my diy-projects and such will definitely be taken using my tablet instead. Plus, there are a bajillion fabulous and fancy photo editing apps to spice those photos up. (I used one of those photo editing apps to have fun with all the photos in this post!)
6. Battery Life. So I haven't gauged the battery life yet, but I can tell you it lasts a long time. I've only charged the tablet twice times since I've had it. Not only does the battery last a long time, but it also charges back up in a short time.
|I've probably spent 50% of the time spent with Clover using Pinterest.|
7. It's speedy. As I've hinted at several times already in this post, the Intel power in this little tablet makes it a speedy machine. Starting up, switching apps, and loading time are all very fast. Also, if I turn the tablet to its side or upside down, the screen smoothly rotates to the position I want it to.
8. So much fun! Last but definitely not least, I'm really enjoying the fun I'm having with the tablet. Turning on the fireplace app and cozying up with a cup of hot cocoa, listening to my favorite bands on Spotify, checking multiple email accounts all in one place, easily viewing Twitter and Facebook updates, scrolling endlessly through Pinterest, seeing what the temp is outside, reading a few chapters of a book on the Kindle app... the possibilities are so exciting and so much fun.
|I don't think I have a need for my Kindle anymore...|
I'll be posting about my Intel-powered Windows8 Acer Iconia W510 (aka Clover) weekly here on the blog, over on Facebook, and on Twitter. I'm so psyched and honored to be reviewing this for the Tablet Crew and thankful to Intel for sending the tablet my way.
Have any questions? Ideas? Leave a comment here, on the Lovely Undergrad Facebook page, or Tweet @LovelyUndergrad. Get at me! :)
Full Disclosure: I received the Acer Iconia W510 with Windows8 for free from Intel to review and help promote Windows8 tablets. I'm free to write whatever I think. The thoughts and opinions shared on this blog and my social media accounts regarding this tablet are entirely my own.
So cool! I didn't know there was a fireplace app. Tablets look like a lot of fun to use. :)
I just got a iPad Mini for Christmas and LOVE IT. The single downside though, is that I can't take it running with me to listen to music (guess I still need my ipod!).
Post a Comment